Monday, January 23, 2012

I am Mumbai...


            
     Few days ago I saw “I AM MUMBAI” video played all over my Facebook Account. I wondered why people were revisiting a decade old song. I clicked on the video expecting a song which is picturized  on Javed Jaffry. Instead what hit me was the stark reality of living in this city.
    A writer standing at Flora fountain Mumbai  yells, almost seeking attention, “They burnt my books, They Burnt my Words. But they will never able to silence my Voice”. There is intense pain in his eyes but nobody seems to really care. There is indifference, some curiosity, but general nonchalance.
    An Agitated mother screams at skywalk with utter frustration,“ Jo dudh hamare ghar mein aata hai, us mein gutter ka paani mila hota hai.” People turn to locate the source of this angered voice but again nobody seems to care. But the engagement stops right there.
   A few Children from slums of Mumbai hold of the microphone and protest, “Hamara bistar yeh table se bhi chhota hai. Humko hafte mein do baar hi kuch khane to milta hai.” People merely look up from what they are doing, maybe get a little discomfited. But no outrage nothing.
   And then my favorite. A young working class professional yells into the microphone, blocking a politician’s vehicle, “This city is my home. Yeh mere baap ka ghar hain. Samjhe aap! And I will not have your political posts dirty the walls of my home.” But they lunged for him and went after him while people watched with utter nonchalance. Or was it helplessness?
   I sense the helplesness in that mother.My heart goes out to those street urchins.And i can totally empathaize with the anger in that younge professional.But I think on most days,disgust surpass anger.Maybe,anger is pass.Maybe,It's just another futile emotion.
   I care little about the brand associated with video.I haven't picked up a copy of mumbai mirror in years and don't intended to now.But i think i will watch this video often,if only to get disgusted and lull myself out of my lifestyle.


And at the end of every yell there are three words “I AM MUMBAI”.


          Yes , I am Mumbai. And Proud to be a MUMBAIKAR…!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment